My First Du is Done

And it's only taken me a week to write about it, that's how fast I am!

As a part of Fleet Feet Baton Rouge Halloween runs
They had a 2 mile, 5k, Little VooDu, Big VooDu and Dirty VooDu. I chose the Little VooDu which was a 2mile run / 10 mile bike / 2 mile run. I wanted to do the Big one but since this was my first I decided to play it smart. Good thinking on my part.

We had a rough night the night before and didn't get enough sleep. I drug #4 along even though he didn't get to bed until 3 am. I'm that thoughtful.

The event was at a Super Walmart and the route was kind of plain and simple. But in the defense of the race crew, they lost their permit to have it somewhere wonderful due to the city actually do work and start early. It definitely took away fear of getting lost on the route.

I had planned to wear a costume.
Pipi Longstocking
However my sewing machine decided not to cooperate. Probably due to be stored in a plastic box for about 15 years :(. I was determined not to let that get me down. Turned out only about 3 people had on costumes. I guess everyone around here is just too serious about racing (*rolling eyes).

We got there in plenty of time. I put my bike and gear with a couple of ladies from my half class that were also racing. Only to find out it need to go somewhere else. #4 tried to help place things in a way that would be most efficient but this was new to him as well.

All the races started together. We had chips strapped to our ankles so it didn't matter where we were in the line up, timing didn't start until we crossed the mat. This was probably a good thing since I tend to linger in the back.

My plan was to run the first run slow (10:50ish), ride about medium effort (15mph) and book it on the last run (10:30ish - don't hurt yourself laughing). First run felt good and slow. I was afraid I started out too fast. I don't like to be in a group so I usually have to run faster than I want to get to a spot that is all for me. My right shoe came untied on the way in, I didn't bother to stop and tie it since I would be taking it off anyway. 

I got on all my bike gear and hoofed out the back like I was told to do. I have a love/hate relationship with my bike shoes. They are great on the bike but walking in them is such a pain. I hit what I thought was head wind on the way out and I pedaled hard thinking I would coast on the way in. Turns out the head wind was on the way back. I managed 16.5-16.7 out, but only 13s on the way in. Until the last mile when I the wind was finally at my back and I was cruising at 18 (I never ride that fast!). 

For the second run, my legs were like jelly. I knew this would happen but I was still surprised. I felt like I was walking I was running so slow. I guess it worked out since when I came to point where it was time to kick I was able to do it.

I was thinking it would take close to 2 hours to finish. I was not disappointed when they posted my time.


Clearly I need work in the transition area. It was a learning experience and I had a great time! I can't wait to do another one.

#4 tried to take some wonderful pics, but these are the ones he got:

I'm not sure why the rotated one's posted this way, that's not how they are on my laptop. But I'm leaving them because I have other stuff to do :D


  1. Awesome! Good for you on your first du!

  2. Congrats on your first DU!!!!

    Are you hooked? When is the next one?

  3. You did great! Races are so much fun!

  4. big-daddy, I am hooked!! I know have to start searching for another one to do. They don't seem to be as popular and plentiful as tris.