7/13/11

Walking feels like cheating

I walked today. I walked 3 miles. I wanted to run. But it's not a run day. I feel better for walking but it felt like cheating. I was supposed to do a 3 mile run yesterday, first day in my virtual half training program. I only made it a mile. I was VERY disappointed in myself. I WILL finish my run tomorrow!

I am a little excited because the boy has expressed interest in doing the half with me. He is such a good runner, ran varsity cc as a freshman and sophomore. Unfortunately he dropped out because of a bad coach. I normally am not one to talk bad about a coach or a teacher. They have tough jobs and I wouldn't trade with them. And I almost always take the adults side when the kids complain because, well, they are kids and will complain about everything if you let them! But this one time I have to agree with the boy. She was a horrble coach. The kind that  thought she was motivating them by always harping on what they did wrong. She's lost half her male runners because they are "really" soccer players and only ran because the soccer coach asked them too.

Sad thing is he is a natural long distance runner. I wish he had developed a love for it. But I haven't given up on him yet :D. So yesterday when I was talking to him about my recent form changes and training changes and race change, he was real interested. I asked if he wanted to do the race with me. He said yea! I told him he'd have to train so we have our first train date for tomorrow night. Woo hoo.

I have decided to do forego all of the online training plans that I have been comparing. Sort of. I will actually follow one for a couple of weeks just because I am not experienced enough to know what to do on my own. The local Fleet Feet is putting on a half training class starting at the end of next month. It will end with a local half. So I have decided to change my first half from the Iron Girl in New Orleans to the Baton Rouge Beach Half. I really like the idea of doing an all female event for my first but really like the idea of having a real live training group more. And if the boy runs with me, then it is definitely the right choice.

The Iron Girl half is just a few days before my birthday. I told my family that in lieu of gifts I wanted them to all go to the race and support me. Well since that has changed, I have picked out my birthday present:
If you can't read it, it says "Race Day Strategy: start off slow and then back off". It's available at onemoremile.com. It fits my sense of humor.

1 comment:

  1. This is a cute t shirt... hey, I just found your blog and will be following you, and put your blog on my blogroll, too.

    And if you look at my post today, you will see that I tagged you for a blogger award. A fun way for us new bloggers to get to know each other a bit.

    Hope you will join in the fun. Cheers.

    Elle @ Eat Run Sail
    eatrunsail.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete